Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Multiform World of General Infidelity

I mentioned earlier that I gave a talk on John Paul II's Theology of the Body to the youth leadership of St. John's in Edmond. It was a good talk and from early reviews, the talk went over smashingly. One of the points I made was that infidelity can come in more forms that just the usual manner. (If you don't know what I am referring to, just flip on daytime soaps and you'll get my point.)

This morning, I found this piece for wcbstv.com concerning the prevelance of Blackberry phones. I am thinking about upgrading to one of those bad boys in March, but I am not sure I need that much firepower to be honest with you. While being loaded with features, there is one added side effect no one anticipated: the phone apparently has more attraction for some than their spouses, family, and friends. Again, this is akin to my junk science post, but I have seen this sort of situation happen in relationships. The phone stands in for the larger issue which is that people love other things more than that the people in their lives. It could be job or power or connection or whatever. It comes down to de-valuing a person in favor of the object.

At that same talk, I mentioned to one of the younger girls in the group that if she suspects that the boy she is seeing treats her like a bucket of chicken she should run. She looked perplexed and then asked, "A bucket of chicken?" I replied, "What's in a bucket of chicken?" The light bulb clicked on at the same moment I was giving the answer: "Legs, Thighs, and Breasts." If the guy is looking for the best bucket, what's the chance of you being his forever bucket? I guess the Blackberry and the job will have to go on to the list as well.

Okay, I have research to do. I'll report back later.

No comments: